Wednesday 28 January 2015

Ancillary Sword

This is the first book of the year that I've finished reading, which is apposite because Ancillary Justice was the first book I read last year.  

While writing this I confused myself over the title of the book, which I erroneously recalled as Ancillary Mercy, but that is the title of the third book, yet to come.  

As the sequel to Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword suffers by comparison, because the first book was such a breath of fresh air.  However, this is a really nice story, and by nice I mean its themes resonated with me.  I was moved by the outcome of all the machinations of the Radchaai, the AI and their Ancillaries, and the plotting by Anaander Mianaai the transhuman cyborg-clone-hive-mind ruler of the empire who is warring with herself.

So recommended without hesitation as well worth your time reading.

This weeks writing has been hampered, if that's the right way of describing the amount of time it has taken me, by the need to paint miniatures to take pictures of for the article I'm writing for Miniature Wargames & Battlegames magazine.  

Looking back over the week I see I've only written 942 words for my article.  Still it's now running at 2,782 words, so I guess about half done.  Most of my writing time has been spent researching spaceship combat games, and "girl" are there a lot of rules on the market.

So I'm slacking off, but I have another excuse too.  My partner is off this week and we're spending some quality time together.

1 comment:

  1. It's a very different sort of story from Justice. It's all happening on a much smaller scale, and reminded me a bit of some recent Bujold in the comedy-of-manners aspects. But I think it may actually be even better.

    ReplyDelete

GDPR

I currently do not run an email list and have no plans to do so in the foreseeable future.

For those who subscribe to email updates for this blog, your personal data may be collected by the third party service. I have no control over the tool.

Blog posts or comments may include personal data such as the names of people who've made comments or similar. These posts are often shared on social media including my Twitter and FaceBook pages. The privacy policies of Twitter and Facebook will apply to information posted on their websites.

If you would like any personal data which is included in my blogposts or comments to be removed or have any questions, please email me through my contact widget.